High in fiber and antioxidants, beans are essential in our daily dietary intake. They are prepared in sauce, puree or as salads. Among the different popular varieties used, such as red kidney beans, white beans, pink beans, Lima beans, etc. black beans are considered as the world's healthiest foods. Have a question, feel free to send your feedback!
• 1 cup black beans
• 1/4 chopped green pepper and onion
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 thyme & parsley sprigs tied together
• 1 scotch bonnet pepper
• 6 cloves
• 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 2 tablespoons ground spices
• 8 cups water
1. Wash black beans with cold water and remove damaged beans as they float.
2. Bring beans to a boil with 7 cups water and scallion, then reduce to simmer for 1 hour
on medium-low heat.
3. In a blender, puree most of the beans with water from pot and leave a few for sauce.
4. In a pot, sauté green pepper, onion, and garlic with 2 tablespoons oil on medium-low
5. Strain beans puree into pot, add 3/4 cup water, salt, ground spices, Scotch Bonnet
pepper with cloves, thyme and parsley sprigs, stir and let simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Taste for salt and spices, add more if necessary.
9. Turn off heat, remove thyme and parsley sprigs, along with hot pepper and serve with
white rice and a side of meatballs.