• 1 cup fine cornmeal
• 1 can evaporated milk or 1½ cup
• 1 cinnamon stick • 1 cup coconut milk
• 1 whole anise star
• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
• 1 teaspoon grated lime skin
• 2 teaspoons margarine.
• 1 cup brown sugar or sugar to taste
• 1 teaspoon grated ginger
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 3 cups water • 2 ripe bananas crushed
Haitian cornmeal porridge is a popular meal among others, which always gives you the feeling of your childhood days. Its antioxidants and low saturated fat benefits make it convenient for any light day meals, breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is also a very nutritious meal and body builder..
1. In a medium pot, bring to a boil 3 cups water with cinnamon stick and anise star. In the
meantime, rinse cornmeal in 1½ cup cold water and discard water.
2. Add cornmeal mixture slowly to boiling water while stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
3. Add milk, coconut milk, lime zest, ginger, continue stirring and let simmer (3 minutes).
4. Add sugar, vanilla extract, nutmeg powder, lower heat, and simmer for 7 minutes.
5. Add margarine, sprinkle salt (optional), stir, then simmer for 10 more minutes.
6. Turn off heat, let cool and serve.