Small soft shell crabs and land crabs are the most popular crabs savored in Haiti due their pleasant taste. They are often combined with legumes particularly chayotes and eggplants. Even though land crabs are seasonally found yet more expensive, they are considered as Haiti's tantalizing specialties when cooked with eggplants and green peas. The preparation of this delicious dish is traditionally challenging, but worthwhile. If you're lucky enough to find them, purchase them cleaned from a renowned fish market.
• 12 land crabs, cleaned, and seasoned
• 6 eggplants, sliced
• 2 lbs beef neck or spare rib, cleaned
• 1 scotch bonnet pepper
• 10 oz green peas
• 3 teaspoons salt
• 1/4 cup oil
• 1/2 red bell pepper
• 3 garlic cloves crushed or garlic powder
• 1 large spoon tomato paste
• 4 teaspoons ground spices
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 1/2 green bell pepper
• 2 limes, cut in half
• 4 parsley sprigs or parsley flakes
• 4 cups water
1. In a large container, wash crabs with cold water, then rub with 1 lime, rinse again and
season with 2 teaspoons ground spices.
2. In another container, clean meat with lime halves, rinse with cold water, then soak in
hot water previously boiled with 1/4 lime and scallion stick. Discard water in 5 minutes.
3. Season meat with 2 teaspoons ground spices, 1 teaspoon salt, and garlic cloves
crushed. Let marinate.
4. In the meantime, peel eggplants and slice in 1/2-inch in a bowl.
5. In large pot, heat oil on high heat. Add seasoned meat, crabs, sliced eggplants, 4
cups water, and cover for 40 minutes.
6. Remove eggplants with large spoon, place in a separate bowl, then smash while meat
and crabs continue to cook.
7. When water evaporates and meat turns golden brown, add eggplants over.
8. Add green peas, sliced onion, red bell pepper, Scotch Bonnet pepper, parsley, tomato
paste, 1 teaspoon salt, stir, lower heat and let simmer 20 minutes.
9. Stir until water evaporates, taste for salt, and carefully remove hot pepper before