Sweet potato pudding called "pain patate" is one of the most delicious desserts in Haiti. It is served at parties and occasionally at home for great dinner or holiday. This traditional recipe is mainly achieved with the violet skin sweet potatoes available on the market. The flesh is also white and turns into brown when grated. It is often cooked in a cast-iron pot before being baked to ensure suitable taste.
• 6 medium sweet potatoes (violet skin)
• 3 cups evaporated milk
• 2 medium ripe bananas crushed
• 2 tspn fresh grated ginger
• 1/8 tspn salt
• 1 tspn grated lime rind
• 1 tspn ground cinnamon
• 1 tspn ground nutmeg
• 1 cup dried raisins
• 1½ cup light brown sugar
• 3 tspn vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
• 3 tablespoons Rum Barbancourt*****
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 1 egg yolk
1. Peel, then grate sweet potatoes in large bowl. Manage to obtain 5¾ cups grated paste.
2. In separate bowl stir egg yolk and add to sweet potato mixture.
3. Puree bananas into blender, add to sweet potatoes, then gradually add milk, coconut
milk and mix well.
4. Add the following ingredients one at a time: light brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt,
lime zest, vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons rum, and stir to blend.
5. Place large cast-iron pot on low-medium heat, pour in entire mixture. Cook sweet potato
mixture for 30 to 45 minutes while stirring constantly, so that it doesn't stick too much
at the bottom of the pot. Add butter, rum Barbancourt, and continue to stir until
mixture turns darker and fully cooked. Remove from stove.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a convenient baking pan with melted butter
and pour in cooked sweet potato mixture. Place baking pan in preheated oven and
let bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until pudding top turns dark brown and custard firm.
7. Let cool at room temperature, then slice and serve. Keep leftovers refrigerated!
• Haiti's Hidden Treasures I: (1hr10 mn)
DVD-Documentary by Haitian filmmaker Patrick Dorsainvil, showing Port-au-Prince and its surroundings before the 2010 earthquake and touching the history, the people, geography and resources.
• Haiti's Hidden Treasures II: Awe-inspiring dvd showcasing Haiti's most popular cities surrounded by untouched natural beauty. 67 mns + 12 mns slideshow.
BUY 2 & SAVE!