Rice with black mushrooms is particularly cooked with small, medium, large shrimps, crabs and Lima beans depending on the occasion. This is a very fine recipe in which the dried mushrooms provide a black coloration to the rice and a unique flavor to delight the palate.
• 2 cups long-grain rice
• 3 cups dried black mushrooms
• 12 oz precooked shrimp (skinless)
• 1/4 chopped green & red bell pepper
• 2 garlic cloves crushed
• 1/4 cup chopped onion and parsley
• 1 scotch bonnet pepper
• 1 cup frozen Lima beans or green peas
• 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
• 6 cloves & 2 thyme sprigs
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 2 teaspoons lime juice
• 6 cups water
• 1/4 crushed scallion
1. Clean and bring to a boil black mushrooms in 4 cups water (10 minutes).
2. In another saucepan bring to a boil 2 cups of water, pour over precooked shrimp, let
sit 2 minutes, remove shrimp from hot water, and season with lime juice and ground
3. Sautée skinless shrimp in 1 tablespoon oil on medium heat until tender, and put aside.
4. In a cast-iron pot, sautée onions in 2 tablespoons oil, green & red bell pepper, green or
Lima beans, crushed garlic, scallion, and stir up to 5 minutes on medium heat. When
done, save half of cooked spices and beans for later.
5. Add strained mushroom water in pot along with cloves, scotch bonnet pepper, parsley,
thyme, salt, and also 6 to 8 sautéed shrimp.
6. Bring water to a boil, taste it for desired flavor, then rinse rice with cold water and
add into boiling water.
7. Let simmer until water evaporates, then spread saved portion of Lima beans or green
peas as well as remaining sautéed shrimp over rice. Make sure scotch bonnet pepper
stayed on top before stirring rice.
8. Lower heat, cover rice, and let cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
9. Before serving, remove scotch bonnet pepper, stir rice with remaining sautéed shrimp,
and Bon Appétit!