ENJOY OUR EVENING PROGRAMS 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM
• 8 cups water
• A few sprigs of watercress
• 1 slice avocado
• 5 slices green or red pepper
• 1 boiled plantain (optional)
• 1 teaspoon ground spice
• 6 smoked herring fillets
• 1 yellow onion sliced into rings
• 4 - 5 drops lime juice
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 3 tablespoons Ragù sauce
• 1 tspn fresh parsley chopped or flakes
Rich in omega-3 fatty acids smoked herrings are ideal for a rich breakfast usually served with boiled plantain or egg and a side of watercress. This popular Haitian dish is also served with omelet, spaghetti, bread or over corn meal at lunch. A glass of lime juice complements this excellent recipe. Desalted before cooking, smoked herrings preparation is fast and easy since the fillets are clean and ready for a quick and ideal breakfast. Cooking time is about 20 minutes!
1. Fill a container with 4 cups of fresh water, soak 6 to 8 herring fillets for up to 1 hour.
2. Bring to a boil 3 cups of water, discard cold water, then pour hot water over fillets, let
soak one more time for 30 minutes.
3. When ready to cook herring, discard water.
4. In a frying pan, heat olive oil on medium-low heat.
5. Sautéed onions and green pepper, then add herring and cover for 3 minutes.
6. Add ground spices, lime juice drops & mix in cooked herring fillets. Cover for 2 minutes.
7. Add Ragù sauce, 3/4 cup water, parsley, pikliz, cover and let simmer for 5 - 8 minutes.